At The Insight Program, our substance abuse support groups for young people are at the core of who we are. Every young person who partakes in any of our drug treatment or individual counseling programs has access to our support groups, consisting of age appropriate, sober young people in recovery.
Our substance abuse support groups consist of:
- 3x weekly 12 step meetings for young people – Monday evening, Thursday evening, and Saturday afternoon. (Note: evenings may differ based on Insight Program location – please discuss this with the counselors at your location of choice)
- 2x weekly fun, sober social events for youth – Friday and Saturday evening each week. These events change week to week and they are announced weekly in our parent support group meetings.
- All support group activities, including 12-step groups and weekend social activities, are attended by our substance abuse treatment counselors.
- Young people have access to spend time in our “coffee shop”, where young people can connect with each other, have fun, and be themselves.
- One meeting per week will coincide with our weekly parent support group meeting for family members.
- Provides support and fellowship similar to other 12-step programs, such as cocaine anonymous or narcotics anonymous, or al anon – helping young people maintain sobriety and improve mental health.
Why are drug and alcohol support groups important?
It is no secret that young people have a high social need. It is wired into them – adolescence (and early adulthood) is the phase of life where we learn who we are and who we want to be. Having positive peer relationships is a critical part of being a teenager or young adult. One thing the Insight Program emphasizes is meeting this social need.
Instead of focusing on changing who young people are, we focus on helping them meet their needs. We believe it is futile to attempt to make young people “grow up”. Rather, we recognize that no growth will happen on drugs. If they stay sober, the growing up process happens naturally.
The Insight Program is committed to providing ongoing support for teens and young adults recovering from substance abuse and related issues. Substance abuse support group meetings are a vital component to a comprehensive twelve step program. Insight is an Enthusiastic Sobriety program, which means its priority is to offer an alternative to substance abuse that is fun and fulfilling. The Insight Program also holds social functions every weekend. The combination of enthusiastic sobriety meetings and weekend social events gives teens and young adults the opportunity to form relationships with sober peers, engage in fun activities, and learn to build a sober lifestyle.
To inquire about our substance abuse support groups for young people, call the Insight Program Georgia or North Carolina location nearest to you today: